Friday, February 20, 2009

Native American history put right! For our Children!

http://www.oyate.org/
Click on the girl's picture to enter site.

This site is a great resource. My son is in 3rd grade and has a unit on the native peoples of our land. I used many books and guides on this web-site. It might be an eye-opener for some who may enjoy some books they advise to avoid. I have bought items from them and encourage you to do the same. I also found many books at my local library. I feel so passionately about telling the truth of the first nations. They/we have survived and our part of our world today. Not just bows and arrows, civilizations filled with diverse human beings. Thank you.
Peace
This is from the site:

My name is Raven. When I was in the third grade, our class read The Courage of Sarah Noble. In this book they said Indian people were savages and murderers, they chop your head off and eat you alive and that we were not really people. When the class put on the play for the whole school, the kids started taunting me, calling me "stinky" and asking me how many people I've eaten. Nobody would play with me or even sit next to me in class...I felt so ashamed. Finally, I told my mother I didn't want to go back to school.
—Raven Hoaglen (Maidu/Konkow/Wailaki/Mono)


Oyate is a Native organization working to see that our lives and histories are portrayed honestly, and so that all people will know our stories belong to us. For Indian children, it is as important as it has ever been for them to know who they are and what they come from. For all children, it is time to know and acknowledge the truths of history. Only then will they come to have the understanding and respect for each other that now, more than ever, will be necessary for life to continue.

No comments: