Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What happens when you forget how to communicate?

I know this. I have done this. Why can't I remember? This mini-article refocused me. Actually, NVC is harder than you would think. I took a class. Had index cards to help me. Soon, it faded into the background. It's tough to keep up NVC when those around you do not understand, or just don't respond to your patience. Or, they just don't respond in kind. However, it's about stating what you observe, feel, need and request. So, ultimately, you have stayed peaceful and got it off your chest. Plus, the other person feels empathy and resolve with you.

Unfortunately, I let another have a bit of power over me. Thus, the non-violent communication went out the window. I was hurt, and I responded. Almost like the fight or flight went off in my brain.

Today, I can remember and stay focused on understanding, love and compassion.


Peace to you!!




The Non-Violent Communication Process

The+Non-Violent+Communication+Process

To arrive at a mutual desire to give from the heart, we focus the light of consciousness on four areas–referred to as the four components of the NVC (non-violent communication) model.


First, we observe what is actually happening in a situation: what are we observing others saying or doing that is either enriching or not enriching our life? The trick is to be able to articulate this observation without introducing any judgment or evaluation–to simply say what people are doing that we either like or don’t like.
Four components of NVC:


1. observation

2. feeling

3. needs

4. request


Next, we state how we feel when we observe this action: are we hurt, scared, joyful, amused, irritated, etc.? And thirdly, we say what needs of ours are connected to the feelings we have identified. An awareness of these three components is present when we use NVC to clearly and honestly express how we are.


For example, a mother might express these three pieces to her teenage son by saying, “Felix, when I see two balls of soiled socks under the coffee table and another three next to the TV, I feel irritated because I am needing more order in the rooms which we share in common.”


She would follow immediately with the fourth component–a very specific request: “Would you be willing to put your socks in your room or in the washing machine?” This fourth component addresses what we are wanting from the other person that would enrich our lives or make life more wonderful for us.


Thus, part of NVC is to express these four pieces of information very clearly, whether verbally or by other means. The other aspect of this communication consists of receiving the same four pieces of information from others. We connect with them by first sensing what they are observing, feeling, and needing, and then discover what would enrich their lives by receiving the fourth piece, their request. As we keep our attention focused on the areas mentioned, and help others do likewise, we establish a flow of communication, back and forth, until compassion manifests naturally: what I am observing, feeling, and needing; what I am requesting to enrich my life; what you are observing, feeling, and needing; what you are requesting to enrich your life.

No comments: